Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Archie Malloch, my Godfather...

"MALLOCH, Archibald Edward. Died peacefully at the Montreal General Hospital on March 25th, 2006 in his eightieth year. Dearly loved husband of Barbara (nee Monture). Devoted father and father-in-law of Katie (Paul Cowan), Tam, Lesley (Francois Paulette) and James. Proud and loving grand-dad of Thaidene, Sophie, Alexina, Sadele and late K'aila. Dear brother of Joan (Bill Lord) and the late Edmund. Archie will be sadly missed by his nieces and nephew and other extended family in Canada, the United States and Scotland. Archie was a professor of English literature for many years at McGill University and was an active supporter of academic freedom. He was also a member of the Board of Curators of the Osler Library. He spent wonderful hours during his retirement as a volunteer at the Palliative Care Unit of the Royal Victoria Hospital. Our thanks to the nurses, volunteers and doctors at the P.C.U. of the Montreal General for so lovingly caring for Archie during his illness ... In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Native Women Shelter of Montreal (P.O. box 1183 station A, Montreal, QC H3C 2Y3)."
logo

Published in the Montreal Gazette from 3/27/2006 - 3/29/2006.

My Father told me about Archie yesterday, and again I am frustrated that I can't be there for the services. I remember Archie from when I was little ~ We had a few banisters in out stairs at our house in Montreal, and he would pretend to be a bear, and that was always my hiding place. He told me interesting things every time we saw each other, for example, your skin's natural oils will keep a conquer (chestnut) shiny when you rub a bit of it on the surface. And every time he came to visit us at our Montreal home, he loved to 'chat' with Tabby, my sister Allie's cat.
My thoughts are with all Mallochs, direct or extended. I wish I could be there, but in my absence I'm sending my love.


4 comments:

TGS said...

And I'm sending you mine! I was at the service in your memory today, but I could feel you there in spirit. XOXO Thing

Country Girl said...

Thanks, Thing!!!
It means a lot!
xoxox

Doodlebugz said...

I have very fond memories of Archie from my childhood, and my favourite picture ever of Tabby is the one where he is perched on Archie's shoulder in our driveway.
Much love and hugs,
xxoo

Country Girl said...

I have that photo! I'll scan it and send you a copy.
Love to you too!
xox