Monday, October 27, 2008

My Poor Car had a Fever :(

Today, my Little Blue Midget had to go into the car hospital...twice. Everything was fine as I headed into Banbury to do a bit of shopping. It started when I was driving back home, and I noticed that the temperature gauge was climbing. The Blue Midget is pretty consistent, the temp always reads 70 degrees. When the warning light came on as the engine temp creeped up beyond 100C, I hastily pulled over. After waiting a while, while it cooled its heels, I then continued on the 3 minutes I had remaining to get home. Just as I pulled into our drive the car starting steaming and I heard it purge all of its cooling fluids. Cross, I stormed into the house and vented to Mum, half cross and half worried we'd lost a car. After topping up its fluid again, I tested the engine, and all seemed well!! So, I carried on with my day and headed out to a near by village. I didn't make it 2 miles when the engine started playing up again. Not taking any chances, I pulled over again and called the AA. 45 minutes later I was being pull towed to the garage... Luckily, I had a few things to do in Chippy while the car was being tended to. four hours later, I went to collect the car. Confidently, I drove to Tew to drop off a few things and then went to head home. I didn't make it a mile out of the village and the temp gauge went up again. By this point, I was tired and more worried (I needed the car as I was driving to Kent that weekend). The first time was pull-towed into Chippy it was daylight, and I smugly thought: "Thank goodness it's not dark!" Ha ha ha... Now it was dark, and I just wanted to go home. Luckily Mum was near by and she waited for the AA with me, in the dark. They arrived soon after and I was pull-towed for the second time that day. The car was in over night, and Mum and I were driving back to our house. So, I had to drive the Volvo for four days while the car was being mended. I arrived at work one day and my boss and colleagues asked "are your kids in the backseat?"!! I did enjoy not having to worry about stalling when I first set off in the morning. So, two pull-tows and two visits to the garage and four days without two cars later, and we have our Blue Midget back, fully recovered and much happier!
One thing I did enjoy doing though, was parking askew in the drive, as I didn't have to worry about fitting two in. A bit frivolous I know, but I take my small pleasures!

No comments: