Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Buddleia

I was out in the garden one day, putting the laundry on the line. The weather was beautiful; sunny but not too hot, and a light soft breeze. I was sorting out the socks from the knickers, and pairing the socks before putting them on the line (you'd understand if you've ever seen my laundry out) and my thoughts were drifting. As I got to hanging up the shirts, half way up the line I looked up and was face to face with a gorgeous butterfly resting on the buddleia. Otherwise known as a butterfly bush or tree, the bunches of flowers are like tightly packed lilac flowers. You can always tell when you're around a buddleia because there is a distinct smell of honey in the air; Hence why butterflies and the like are highly attracted to them. On this occasion, there were about six different varieties of butterfly on the tree, among them the white cabbage butterfly, and the peacock butterfly. I couldn't resist trying to get a picture of the latter because the purple-blue on its wings matched the buddleia.



No comments: