Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cabane a Sucre

Tis the season for sugar overdose :) I have very fond memories of being in pre-k and going to the cabane a sucre in the warmer Winter days, having a ride on the tractor-trailer out to the sugar shack where they poured boiled sap into troughs of snow, and would made us wait impatiently while is solidified long enough for us to roll this strip of sweet loveliness onto a popsicle stick. It was a true sign that Spring was knocking on the door and that Winter was starting to pack its bags. This year, I had the pleasure of going to a sit-down cabane experience; we had a meal and taffy on the snow! I was invited by friends to celebrate a birthday at the Cabane a Sucre, so how could I resist? We enjoyed pea soup to start then ham, sausages, beans (no, I didn't have any), eggs, tourtiere, bacon, mashed potatoes, meat balls, chutney and pickles. Then for dessert pancakes and tarte au sucre... great feeling of fatness follow! After coffee, we stretched our legs and headed out to the cabane where they were serving the taffy on the snow. I love how memories come flooding back when given stimulus. I had a great day, and am looking forward to next weekend when I have a friend visiting from England and we do it all over again!

Our tractor ride!
View from the trailer
Where we had our meal. I liked the cross-cut-saw over the fire place...
So Canadian...
Fiona and Me getting our taffy!!!
Taffy on the snow :)
The cabane a sucre
The sign above the door read "Cabane d'Amour".... I am so naive.
The gift shop...essential

No comments: