Sunday, March 21, 2010

Rhys Easts a REAL Bagel

While staying in Montreal, how could Rhys not eat a fresh Montreal bagel?? There is a huge debate: Montreal, or New York bagel? Not because I'm biased, but I believe Montreal wins that one hands down! They're doughy not cakey, they taste fresh, and their outer edges crisp up perfectly in a toaster. Luckily, these such bagels are made locally in Montreal in an area called St. Viateur so I just had to take Rhys out to the bagel bakery on his penultimate day.

I can remember driving out to St. Viateur with my family, late at night on hot Summer nights when it's 9:30pm and is still 25 degrees and humid. We'd always buy 2 dozen bagels; one dozen for home, and one dozen for the car. We never actually made it through the whole dozen in the car but because the bagels are made right there in front of you in the wood burning bread oven. You see the whole process right from mixing the dough, forming the bagels, dipping them in sesame (most popular flavour), baking, and finally removing with a long wooden paddle. When you buy the bagels, they're still hot and soft on the inside, and crisp a lovely on the outside. We would sit in the car and eat our delicious bagels, I would slowly work my way through eating the inside first, then working on the outside after.

This heavenly delight has to be enjoyed for the first time fresh! So, Rhys and I headed out early and hit the metro system for the last time in Rhys' visit. (Consequently this meant he had now traveled on all the lines of the metro!)
I hadn't been to the bakery in a good decade so when I walked in and smiled, and Rhys walked in and said "wow" I knew it was worth shlepping all the way out here just for bagels.


No comments: