Friday, March 19, 2010

Rhys Visits the Redpath Museum

How could Rhys visit my home of Montreal and not see one of the places I have such fond memories of and now work at? The Redpath Museum is the oldest building in Canada built specifically as a museum. I used to have birthday parties there because I loved the dinosaur bones, and all the displays. Though not as large as London's Natural History Museum, the Redpath reflects Montreal's essence; culture in a compact space. I never tire of walking around the museum and looking at the exhibits, and I often do to rest my eyes and take breaks. While we were there I showed Rhys behind the scenes in the lab where I work, and also one of the rooms we keep the majority of the bones I'm working with. It's a bit different than when we worked together at Serco...

The Redpath in the somewhat-sunshine, with students warming themselves.

Me with some turtle and some hippo bones behind the scenes.

The view of the main entrance hall from the first set of stairs.

The main bone room with the Albertasaurus in pride of place.

Me taking a picture of a polar bear skull....

...and the skull!

This is the "physical anthropology" section of the museum...I see development potential here.

The bone room from the top floor.

No comments: