Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Happy Cat Herders Day

I'm not a cat person. So long as they are not mine, I'll get along well enough with them but my friends have heard me say once or twice before "evil kitty". I prefer dogs; when you leave them they tell you in their special way that they love you, and when you get back their life is complete. Cat's on the other hand, not so much. I heard a comedienne on Just for Laughs describe cats and dogs beautifully. I am paraphrasing, however it went something like this:
"When you leave your house, you dog circles around you as if to say 'you're going to go to work, and I'm going to wait here and when you come back we'll play and I'll love you and you'll feed me, and it'll be great!!'. Cat's aren't like that. A cat looks down at you in the morning and says 'you better get your ass to work.... and don't forget to feed me.' "

Needless to say I have no faith that a cat will let you lead them around, unless they're in the back of the Porsche you're driving at the time. So when I learned that today was Cat Herder Day... I was skeptical. How on earth could this even happen? Have you ever tried to catch/discipline/move a cat in any direction they don't want to go in? It's quite impossible. So how do you herd them? That's exactly the point.

I looked into Cat Herding Day, and that was the main thread. This day sheds light on all those impossible tasks, and shakes the hands of all those who accomplish these impossible tasks on a daily basis. Sometimes it's our job, or our personal life, or perhaps the little things like performing to a crowd or being able to be in a dark room. What ever your breed of "cats", no matter what size they are if you've herded them even in the least, then you've done a good job. You have accomplished something and today is for you!

No comments: