Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Prairie Home Companion

Today, after I got home form the gym and buying milk, I decided to have a look online for the radio programmes I associate with making pancakes on a Sunday after church: The Prairie Home Companion, and The Vinyl Cafe. I have images of my whole family still dressed in our Sunday clothes. Sun streaming into the diningroom onto the blue carpet where Bonnie is sunsoaking (when she's not mooching by Mum). Dad has poured sherries for himself and my Mum, and he's sitting in the diningroom doorway leading to the kicthen on our old step stool, and Mum has the cupboard door open with the recipe for the pancakes on it, even though she doesn't really need it. The smell of pancakes cooking on Aunt Jesse Lapworth's pan that's only used for making pancakes and grilled cheese. The pan where the places for the pancakes have been marked over time, showing where hundreds of thousands of those pancakes have been made on it: four sillouets, one in each courner, and a little one in the middle, so we could test them as Mum made them.
The Prairie Home Companion would be played over the speakers loud enough that that was the only thing we could licten to. Garrison Keillor's destinctive voice softly speaking. The Vinyl Cafe kept us up to date with the upturnned lives of Dave and Morley. I've had fun listening to the TPHC, and Sunday night I'm going to try to tune into TVC at 5pm. I don't have the stuff to make pancakes, but I'll make due.
Ah, good times. Maybe next year I'll have pancakes for supper, just so I can make them listening to TVC, and TPHC.
xoxox

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have touched so many senses with youskillet belonged to your Great r words, such lovely memories. But the Aunt Jessie Lapworth. She was the sister of your great grandfather Crombie. Thanks for the images.
Love, Mum

TGS said...

Ahhh... That blue carpet. Gotta love that little one in the middle ;)