Tuesday, August 26, 2008

One Year On....

Exactly a year ago, my Mother and I sat in our house dazed, exhausted, and heartbroken. Though my Father died peacefully in his sleep it was not peaceful after the fact. Organizing services and obituaries in two countries was a challenge, but we seemed to manage. Then organizing books in a library of over 2000 books to either keep, sell or give to students, etc. but we're close to finishing. Basically, this year has not been without its ups and downs, and for the most part it's been in a cloud. The overall feeling is definitely that life goes on around you, but your life-cart has lost a wheel. It's not a feeling that can be described, nor does it dissipate. The best way I can described how it feels is you get used to feeling that way. You get better at thinking about what happened and replaying the day's events in your mind with a little more strength every time. It becomes part of who you are, as it has part of me. The first year is all about doing everything once without one person: Birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries. Then there's the special events you wish they were here for: engagements, graduation, etc. We made it through these firsts, and now prepare ourselves for the seconds. One thing's for certain, my Family and I couldn't have gotten through this past year without your prayers and support. Thank you all!

Aged 4
Aged 24
His wedding to Mum, 1980.
With his girls, me aged 4, Catherine aged 8, and Allie aged 16.

No comments: