Thursday, December 25, 2008

Happy/Merry Christmas!!

To all and everyone, I wish you a very happy and healthy holiday season where ever it takes you! I heard a sermon given at the midnight service on the BBC, the Right Rev'd giving the sermon explained how "Merry Christmas" was meant as a term to describe an occasion filled with drinking, and late nights, and general extravagances. He explained that "Happy Christmas" is more acceptable to describe a season of good cheer, family, and time honoured traditions in a more sensible context. I see where this comes from, however I still interchange the sayings freely given that the Christmas holiday season holds so many different meanings for different people, it can mean both! Some gather with platoons of family, have children running all around them, and eat until they pop. Others go to 5 different church services, and carol services and nothing else. Whatever we get up to, the aim is the same: maintaining or creating family traditions, and to feel that magic we all felt as children. In our house, we have a tree, we go to church, and eat copious amounts of food. But lately, we've had to change a few things. I still maintain that we need a tree which I decorate, and I wrap gifts in garish paper and ribbons, I bake millions of cookies and sweets, and Mum and I write what seams like a hundred Christmas cards ... and I wouldn't have it any other way. The only down side (and I know all of you who are forehead deep in snow might object) is not having a blanket of snow, and the smell of salt on the roads.

So whatever you do, whether it's with family, friends, or tucked up on your couch watching old films - have a good and happy holiday season.
With Love!


The Vicarage fire place, Christmas 2007

No comments: