Saturday, February 07, 2009

Mapping of a Churchyard

Ever since we moved here, I wanted to map the churchyard at Tew. It is the only church within the benefice of four churches that doesn't have a map. Several people have requested to know where certain people in their family are buried, and sadly all we can say is "...sorry, we don't know." Now that I've finished my degree and I have some records from the 1800s, I have took on the responsibility of putting a location to these names. While the oldest part of the churchyard is not covered with nettles and daisies I'm taking this opportunity to map the oldest part of the churchyard. Eventually I'll move to the second oldest, and finally onto the part of the churchyard that is still being used. It's a long and cold process as at the moment I'm mostly outside for hours at a time writing down details, then when I'm back at home I enter the details into a spreadsheet. The research is turning up very interesting information about who's buried here, how, how much they paid, where they lived, etc. Some families are still living in the villages, others have all moved on, but hopefully when it is all done people can find their families, or even just enjoy knowing a bit more about the villages' past.

A view of the oldest section of the churchyard

An example of what I have to decipher! The date at the bottom read 1699!!

Some are a bit buried, so will be near impossible to read.

No comments: