Saturday, June 27, 2009

Wimbledon 2009

This year, I thought it was a good time for Ed and I to go to Wimbledon together. Ed had never been, and I hadn't been in 4 years so before I headed back to Canada and Ed to South Korea we made plans to go see the tennis. Friends of ours, Chris and Serena very kindly allowed us to stay at their house which is actually in Wimbledon. Ed and I had a great time visiting with both Chris and Serena and their children so that was an added bonus to the tennis. The weather seemed promising, so on the Saturday morning we headed out with a packed lunch, sunscreen, a hat and an umbrella. From past experience and advice from the marshals, I knew we were in for a good old shlep waiting to actually get into the grounds. We arrived at about 8:30am, and got in at 5:07pm. And there were still people queuing behind us! My last experience of the Wimbledon Queue left me horribly burned so I took extra precautions this time; for one thing I applied my 60+ sunscreen way more often supplemented by hiding under my hat and big red umbrella. Secondly, I took frequent naps while in the queue. This queue is not just waiting in line, it's an event of its own! The English are well known for their queues so if you must be in one, be in the queue for Wimbledon. You get stickers saying you queued, news papers with free stuff, and best of all you meet great people. For instance, Ed and I spent most of the time chatting with an Irish teacher, a teacher couple from Kent, and a Law intern from Purdue University. However once you cross the bridge and enter the grounds you shake hands and go your separate ways. Ed and I grabbed a Pimm's (£6.30 a glass!!) and sat and watched some doubles matches. We thought of going and sitting on Murray Mound (or Henman Hill) but there wasn't a blade of grass to be spared! Nonetheless it was a wonderful experience and one I intend to repeat in the years to come. Perhaps though I'll splash out on a ticket for one of the bigger courts, or maybe I'll just get to the queue a 5am??

Welcome!!
The Grounds at 8:30am, our first glimpse.
The Queue!!
Note the Sticker (The strawberry)
Inside finally.

A Ladies' doubles match. Cristea is on the left, I saw her play on TV too.
Their score board.
Me with my pricey Pimm's!
Yes, this is a picture of Federer on a TV screen...but it's the closest I got!!
Me with Ed in the stands :)

No comments: