Monday, November 23, 2009

Pygmy Hippos

Did you know that the pygmy hippopotamus (Choeropsis liberiensis or Hexaprotodon liberiensis) actually exists? I assumed that they were made up when Global came out with a commercial talking about the 'Pygmy House Hippo' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TijcoS8qHIE. However, I learned today they are real... sort of. The real pygmy hippos are critically endangered and live in Western Africa. Through loss of habitat they are dying out. In the past, pygmy, dwarf, and common hippos existed, but sadly only common hippos and a few number of the pygmy hippos are around today. The main reason I am looking all this is because I have a new project! I am taking on a challenge at the Redpath Museum to clean and prepare a collection of finds, then I can have the opportunity of doing a research project on a specific portion of the collection. This is the first step towards working in my field. I've had my degree for a year and a half and haven't had the chance to use my skills during that time. It's all very exciting, and I shall keep you posted!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.