Saturday, October 16, 2010

Happy Sweetest Day

I blogged about this 5 years ago in my first year of University, and today I received a card from my best friend saying Happy Sweetest Day! Sadly, I couldn't remember what my first posting said, so I looked it up. This is what I wrote.
I now see it in a slightly different light. It makes me think of a quote on my sister's Facebook wall: "Be kinder than necessary - everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle". In other words you never know what someone is feeling, or whether or not they're just having a bad day. That woman who pushes her way in front of you on the metro, or the car that cuts you off, or the woman with the screaming kids assaulting your ear drums in the grocery store; maybe they're just having off days. A day that started with one man giving gifts to those less fortunate than himself, in my mind, translates as that moment of patiences you wouldn't otherwise give to someone you don't know. Because no matter the situation, when you see someone for one short moment- give them the best impression of you, you can give. Show them kindness, and you never know, they may just feel better because of it. As my Mother is always saying to us: "be sweet, Sandra", a family members of hers', and we should be. Especially on a day like Sweetest Day, we should be sweet. En lieu of chocolate give the gift of kindness to someone. If anything, you may just feel better about yourself. I for one will always accept kindness in chocolate form... just so you know...

No comments: