Monday, October 11, 2010

National Kick Butt Day

My latest little project I'm taking on is to look into little known holidays that pass us by everyday, and give them some of the recognition I think they should have. I am one of those people who sends cards to celebrate the banal along side the big events in life; I remember people's anniversaries and birthdays, which in an age when Facebook has to remind us when our best friend's birthdays are coming up, leads people to think my remembering these events is something special. But I like looking at all the cards in the shops that say "Happy Grandparent's Day", "Happy Hallowe'en" or "Congratulations!", and realize that there is so much more that can go on a card. And I'm not just thinking of grand events like weddings and baptisms, but even those other little events in life.

So why not explore a new avenue of banality to celebrate? When things get complicated, sometimes doing something simple restores faith in the big picture. I.e.: a bubble bath. How often after a busy, stressful, tear inducing day at work do people come home and say "I need a bath"? The act itself is simple but the benefits can be spectacular.

Today's celebration isn't focused on relaxing baths though, it looks at celebrating Kicking Butt. No, we're not looking to boost the self esteem of bullies, we're looking to celebrate when you give yourself a kick in the butt to do something you've been wanting to do for a long time but haven't bothered yourself to get on and do it. Imagine all those New Year's Resolutions you made 9 months ago to paint your whole house using the laws of feng-shui, re-landscape your garden, change your job, or take up yoga. Now imagine all those not-so-valid excuses that kept getting in the way. Today is the day to really "pull your finger out" and get on with it. What have you been saying to yourself "I really should do that"? Or what keeps getting pushed to the bottom of the every growing To-Do list? Or maybe it's that pile of papers that stairs at you menacingly from the floor when you sit in your favourite chair. What ever it is use the rest of today to put an honest effort into tackling it. I decided to take a walk today and finally photograph all the Fall foliage that's around. Because that I would keep sitting around saying "I really should get out and take photos of the leaves" until the day every last leave had been deciduously discarded and I still hadn't taken any photos.

Happy National Kick Butt Day!!

Kick Butt Pictures, Images and Photos

No comments: