Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Alien Easter Pig-Bunnies

Mum bought me this really great book called Cake Pops by Bakerella. This woman has taken a fairly easy, pre-existing idea and turned it into something wonderfully playful and memorable. She's been blogging the whole process and has been sharing ideas and changes she makes to her recipes. I just love looking at all the little creations and imagining either when I could make these little colourful bite sized cake treats, as well as thinking of designs of my own. I figured, however before I start making up animals and figuring out ways to make life-like faces out of cake I would see if I could master the basic principles.

Lent starts today, and the Sunday school at my church is holding a bake sale mid lent as a fund-raiser. Mum and I will of course provide our usual army of hilariously decorated cupcakes, however we thought something new would be fun too. Mum and I looked through the Cake Pops book, specifically looking at Spring themed pops. There were options like Easter baskets, chicks (or "chick-on-a-stick", or "chickie-on-a-q-tip" depending on whether you ask me or Mum respectively), sheep, and of course bunnies. I felt the bunnies would be appropriate plus I had most of the materials required already. That being said, I had never done something quite like this before so I took my time, reading the instructions, checking her methods and being prepared to fail... I have baked a cake, yes; and I have dipped candies, yes; however I've never ventured into the unknown realm of combining the two worlds. Here goes nothing!

I spread the steps over four days as follows: bake the cake; crumble the cake and mold into shape; impale with the stick and sip into grotesque coloured dipping chocolate (pastels); "glue" on ears and face with chocolate and draw on face with edible ink. I took one look at them, and before showing them to Mum described them to her as an odd cross between a pig and an alien, if they dressed up to look like bunnies. She agreed, once she stopped giggling. There is much room for improvement, and I intend to try again... never fear!

Don't laugh... I dare you.












I tried to give them all different expressions.

They're even a little pinker in the real.

I felt the need to point out a couple details. First, the green circle shows how I made the little blemishes and bumps in the chocolate coating work for me. This bunny was a little shocked. And secondly, the orange circle is a little homage to their pig-like appearance.


The blue circle is pointing out the little critter that reminded me of The Brain, from Pinky and the Brain. He's a little disgruntled.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Sarah, these turned out fabby! :) Too cute to eat...you are a pro! And you blog, as well: Look out, Bakerella.