Sunday, December 18, 2005


Christmas Time is Nearly Here!

I survived my first term at University. I handed in two essays, one lab report, and did an in class exam for biology. It was a lot of work, but thankfully our little network of friends we have here, was working hard, but always will to help or listen to your stories of how your brain is leaking out your ear!
The main thing I kept my eyes on as I tried to motivate myself through the work, was the though of my house decorated for Christmas. I come from a land of snow, and so it's what's comfortable to me. I am a snow baby. Unfortunately this country's answer to snow is rain ... but decorations are one thing that are always the same: The tree ( a really one!), decorated with decoration you made as a kid (messy globs of glue, glitter, and pom-poms), and the smell of the spruce or pine needles when you turn the lights on; the nativity scene, of which we have a beautiful one. The little
diorama, representing why we celebrate the season at all; Christmas cards adorning mantel pieces, strings and filling baskets. Every year, even if you haven't written them all year round, you always have an excuse to write to people at Christmas. The candles burning, the carols and hymns that are sung, then there's the small of all the wonderful things being baked cooked, and prepared.
Christmas can be stressful, what with all there is to do in such a short period of time. To get around this, in our house we celebrate two days of Christmas... one Christian (the 25th, we go to church, have a family meal and relax), and one pagan (the 26th, we open gifts, have out traditional breakfast, and finally the turkey dinner). It works for us.
As term time came to an end, and I couldn't see the light at the
end of any tunnel, I kept in mind the piece and calm of my living room, fully decorated, light off, tree lights on, carols playing, and a fire in the fireplace....
I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas, surrounded by friends, family and loved ones.

Take care!
xox

No comments: