Monday, September 07, 2009

Hook Norton Brewery

For the past four years I've been telling Ed that we had to go to the Brewery. I didn't specify when, though. With 3 weeks until we flew, Ed and I booked a tour of the brewery and a tasting session of the beer. I had gone on the tour once before with Dad but I still enjoyed seeing the history of the brewery in action. They used gravity throughout most of the brewing process, which isn't widely used in the country so is something special to see. And they are one of the last to use a steam engine to pump the 'brewer's liquor' (spring water) up and into the system. The tour takes you right up the whole 5 floors of the brewery and out side where they keep their horses. They used to have 20 horses at their peak, but now use a combination of 3 horses and lorries to distribute their beer. 'Hooky' beer has a very good reputation, and is well loved by many including myself. I'll just have to find a way of getting some when I'm in Montreal!!

Ed and I outside the Brewery
"Not another picture"!
Me by the steam engine
This is the "mashing" process, unlocking all that loveliness!
One of the carts they still use to get the beer to the many pubs they own.

No comments: