Sunday, June 04, 2006

A London Getaway

This weekend, friends of ours from Tew, offered their house to Ed and myself for the weekend. Thank you so much, C&S!!!
This weekend was intended to be something after my exams that I could look forward to. It turned out to be better than imagined. Ideal weather, a beautiful place to stay, and lots to do in London. As both of us were in no mood to tour the entire city, we chose what we wanted to do in advance, and went with the idea that if we didn't get it all done, that we'd get it done the next time we were there.
Our main priority was to get to the Natural History Museum. Neither Ed nor I had been there in about 15 years, and thought it was hightime we revisited the place that gave us great childhood memories. I had forgotten both the size and splendour of this place. As a five year old, I saw the Dinosaur bones, and knew I wanted to be (as I was later told by my Mum) a Paleontologist. The exhibits within the museum are both expansive, and well displayed, and I'm sure they've inspired many people. As we spent a while in the NHM, we didn't have the time, or energy to go to the Science Museum. This will have to be our priority for out next visit, because we didn't get there today either. Instead, we went to Holland Park with a pic-nic of pickled baby gherkins, carrots, oranges, Easter eggs, and Quizno's subs. Not traditional, but very tasty...and filling.
I came back to campus feeling I had stopped time, and forgotten about what I had just finished, and what I had yet to plan. We were in our own private world, in London.
Tomorrow, I'm packing up my stuff and leaving campus for the last time. Next time I come back to this corner of England, I'll have packing boxes and a set of keys for the house I'll be renting.
Now, I'm going to sleep.
xoxoxox

The house we stayed in, from the back garden.

The back garden, from the conservatory.

Ed, doing washing up.

Ed, outside the front entrance of the Natural History Museum. (check the blue sky!)

The main hall and entrance to the Museum.

T-Rex, and Triceratops heads.

The Bluewhale! Those are whale skeletons above it.

No comments: